The International Code Council has named May as Building Safety Month as part of a campaign to raise awareness among businesses, families and individuals about creating and sustaining safe structures. As a way to observe Building Safety Month, we highly suggest you go over the following fireplace safety tips with your family.
Check your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms by making sure they work, and that they have working batteries in them.
- Do routine maintenance on your gas fireplace, such as cleaning the glass and replacing your handsets batteries.
- Schedule an inspection with a local professional in order to ensure your fireplace’s safety and efficiency.
- Make sure that there is nothing flammable nearby your fireplace, such as furniture or drapes.
- Make sure everyone near the fireplace knows to keep away from the glass since the glass can get incredibly hot.
- Keep your remotes out of reach from any children in your home by keeping them in a safe spot.