Protect Your Home from Carbon Monoxide

Plug-in Carbon Monoxide DetectorRadiant gas fireplaces offer both comfort and incredible convenience in your home, but, as with wood-burning fireplaces and gas stoves, they run the risk of releasing carbon monoxide in your home if not properly maintained.  Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can cause illness and death if it builds up in an enclosed space.  Moderate levels of carbon monoxide in a home can produce flu-like symptoms of headache, weakness, and nausea in addition to symptoms like dizziness, confusion, and chest pain.  If levels of carbon monoxide get too high, the results are deadly.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable with careful use of your radiant gas fireplace.  Have the fireplace inspected once a year, preferably before you turn it on for the first time after the warm summer months have passed.  Do not leave the fireplace on at night or in an empty room for an extended time.  Most importantly, you should have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home; there are many potential sources of carbon monoxide in your home, and it’s always better to err on the side of safety.

For more information on safe operation of your radiant gas fireplace, feel free to give Valor a call at 877-253-9485.  Your safety is important to us, so we are happy to help!

 

Photo via Wikipedia

Speak Your Mind

*


two + 5 =