When September arrives, it usually brings a few great things with it such as seasonal fruit, cooler evenings and beautifully colored trees and leaves! Now, as mentioned seasonal fruit is one of the great things that arrives with September, in particular Apples come into season and in all different varieties.
The great news is, you can make a homemade apple butter with those wonderful apples that will last all month-long and is great served to guests or given as a gift. Check out the recipe below to make your own batch of slow cooked apple butter today:
- 12 Ounces Of Apple Juice
- 1 1/2 Cups Of Apple Cider (Homemade or Premade)
- 4-5 Pounds of Apples (Any kind will do)
- 3/4 Cup Of Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Of Cinnamon, Cloves & Nutmeg
- Bring apple juice and the apples to a boil in a large saucepan. Once boiling, reduce down to a low heat and allow the mixture to simmer for about an hour, while stirring occasional.
- Remove from heat once the apples are soft enough to mash.
- Next, mix together brown sugar and all seasonings into the mashed apple mixture. Bring this mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low letting the apple mixture simmer for an additional 2 hours uncovered, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Once thick, let apple butter cool for one full hour before serving or transfer into jars to can the butter for later use.
Enjoy this butter over toast, pancakes, ice cream or even on its own! Consider savoring and enjoying this sweet treat next to your Valor Fireplace.