By now you may have noticed that there is a modern, fun trend showing up in houses all over the world: chalkboard paint! With this versatile and fun paint, you can turn almost any surface, room, or furniture piece into an interactive area that is fun for everyone!
Not only is this type of paint fun for the whole family, it’s also functional as it will give you a surface to write messages on or show off some of your best chalk art. The only hitch to this excellent paint is that sometimes it can be pricey, especially for larger projects. For a solution to the cost, you can make a DIY chalkboard paint at home that will save you some money, add a new design feature and provide a fun space for everyone to enjoy.
- Black Latex Paint (Or the color of your choice)
- Non-Sanded Grout
- Bucket & A Brush
- Start by mixing together your paint and grout. The best ratio to use is 1 part grout to 8 parts paint and you can adjust the levels as you see fit.
- Next, it’s time to throw in some elbow grease and mix up the paint and grout. You want to make sure the paint and grout mix together as smoothly as possible, as otherwise, your grout will show on the wall. Mix the two parts until completely mixed together and smooth.
- Once everything has mixed together nicely, do a small test patch on the space you want to paint and let it dry completely. From here you can paint any surface you like, making sure to do at least two coats for complete coverage.
- When your painted surface has dried, you need to condition the chalkboard before use! Simply, run a piece of chalk along the surface until it’s been completely covered in chalk. Once the surface is covered in chalk, wipe it down with a dry towel. Your chalkboard surface is now ready to be used.