While the spring is still here and in full bloom, it’s never too early to start thinking about summer and your backyard or outdoor living space. We’re not suggesting you break out the swim shorts and sunscreen, but this is a great time to prepare your backyard for the sunny and warm months ahead.
This means tackling critical tasks around the yard, garden, and patio to ensure that all spaces are set to go when the sunshine hits.
- Prepare Garden Beds & Plant: Spring is the best time to start planting and preparing within your backyard and garden space. Come up with a plan for what plants or flowers can be planted now and a plan for the future plants that need to be planted later. Also, take the time to weed and prepare your garden beds with new soil, so you have a great base to work with. This is also a great time to tackle any plants that may not have survived the winter or need a clean-up before the weather warms up.
- Care For The Lawn: The lawn is a big part of most backyards and generally needs the most care. So, why not tackle this large job now and care for your lawn before the heat of summer takes over. This is a great time to weed, water, replant and overhaul your yard to make sure it is in tip-top shape. Don’t forget to finish all this hard work by mowing the lawn to get that grass at a great starting length for the season.
- Overhaul The Patio: Your patio will be the center of your backyard for social gatherings, quiet evenings or even just an extension of the home. So you want to make sure it is ready for anything by preparing it ahead of time. A great way to do this is to start with the large items like the patio itself and the furniture. Power washing or general cleaning can be done to the floor or deck of the patio and will help wash away any build-up and debris from over the winter. Also, if you have patio furniture that can be washed or touched up, do this now so you won’t have to worry about it when you’re ready to relax.
- Consider Lighting & Warmth: You want to make sure your backyard area is not only comfortable but enjoyable even into the late evenings. To ensure that your space will be ready now is a good time to consider adding any lighting into the yard and a heat source to extend those summer nights. Lighting an outdoor area can be as easy as adding solar lights or hanging a more permanent lighting source such as a fixture or hanging lights.
As for heat, consider placing or installing a heater in the backyard area to create an extra comfortable and warm space for everyone to enjoy. You can go with a heating lamp, a fire pit or even something like the Valor Outdoor Series to make your backyard stand out. For more information, please visit here.
- Plan An Exterior Home Clean: Lastly, it’s important to plan time to do an exterior clean of the home, storage spaces and anything else that might need it. Whether you choose to hand wash the areas that need it most or if you decide to completely overhaul the space, including cleaning out anything that isn’t needed and washing everything that can be washed. Plan to take on this project over a few days to make sure it can be completed, and don’t forget to tackle the areas like storage sheds, windows on the home and any surfaces within the backyard.